Author Topic: Export to XLSX  (Read 2993 times)

BuckWheat

• Pro Ultimate
  • BuckWheat
    • View Profile
Export to XLSX
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:19:27 pm »
The Excel file that is exported from the grid will open in Excel 2010.
It will not open with some 3rd party tools (such as ClosedXML).
It will not open when connecting to it VIA OleDB (using the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider - it errors saying "External table is not in the expected format").
I can open it/read it with the OpenXml API.
If I run it through the OpenXMLSdk v2.5 tool and use the validation function it says it is valid.
If I open the document in Excel and do a "save as", (no other changes)... then the new version of the file will open in ClosedXML and through the OleDB provider.
Using the OpenXMLSdk v2.5 tool to compare the two versions of the file (original compared the the "save as" version), the version generated by the grid is structurally different than the version created by Excel (file locations, number of files, shared strings, etc).

Is there a way to get more compliant version? Or are there plans to make the export more closely resemble a file generated by Excel so that it will play nice with the rest of the Excel eco-system?

Thanks

-Cam

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:31:00 pm by BuckWheat »

paramvir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Export to XLSX
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:16:48 am »
grid export to xlsx format is based on ooxml standard and it's tested for Excel only. It's not feasible to test it for every 3rd party library out there.

ooxml is a standard, and if any 3rd party library can't open an ooxml compliant document, then it's a limitation of that library.

That being said, I would be glad to extend support for some well known 3rd party tools if it's worth the effort. I'm adding it to the feature request.