Author Topic: Export file  (Read 4791 times)

dbadmin

• Pro Economy
    • View Profile
Export file
« on: May 07, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »
Hi,

Is there a PHP demo on how to render a file right away without saving it on the server with a predefined file name? Do I understand correctly that with current implementation it may lead to concurrency problems when different people click "export" on the same page and file name is always the same? And if I change file name each time, then I need to run a cleaning tool to make sure these files get deleted at some point.

Thanks!

dbadmin

• Pro Economy
    • View Profile
Re: Export file
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:01:43 pm »
Also is it a potential security leak? Looks like whatever is in "POST" gets saved in a file and if it's a virus there doesn't seem to be any protection against it?

paramvir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:34:27 pm »
Due to security restrictions, javascript can't create or write to a file. It has to be a round trip to the server.

If you implement it in a multi user environment, you can append the filename with a session variable or user name.

The first level of protection against malicious code post is to ensure that file extension remains either xml or csv. As an extra layer of security, you can also add a check that the data is posted only by an authenticated user.

dbadmin

• Pro Economy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:38:28 pm »
Thanks for you reply.

Let me word it differently: I  don't expect the file to be loaded by javascript, but I thought it would be good to have a php-side code that instead of writing to a file just renders out the file contents right away (instead of saving it into the file, and then rendering the file)

paramvir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:51:03 pm »
Good point.

You could return the post data right away instead of saving it in a file if it were a single request, but as there are two requests to the server, you have to persist the data on the server upon first request and return it as a file in the second request.

Though it's not necessary to store the post data in a file, you could store the post data in a session. As a matter of fact, saving post data in session seems better solution in terms of concurrency and security.

paramvir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:56:00 pm »
Here is the code for saving it in session

Code: [Select]
if (isset($_POST["excel"]) && isset($_POST["extension"]))       
{
    $extension = $_POST["extension"];   
    if ($extension == "csv" || $extension == "xml")
    {               
        session_start();
        $_SESSION['excel'] = $_POST['excel'];
        $filename = "pqGrid." . $extension;             
        echo $filename;       
    }
}
else if(isset($_GET["filename"]))
{
    $filename = $_GET["filename"];
    if ($filename == "pqGrid.csv" || $filename == "pqGrid.xml")
    {
        session_start();       
        if (isset($_SESSION['excel'])) {   
            $excel = $_SESSION['excel'];       
            $_SESSION['excel']=null;       
            header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="'.$filename.'"');
            header('Content-Type: text/plain');
            header('Content-Length: ' . strlen($excel));
            header('Connection: close');           
            echo $excel;
            exit;
        }   
    }
}

dbadmin

• Pro Economy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:02:37 am »
That works, thank you!

Eventually would you think it will make sense to add an option to do it in one "post" request (next versions)? Second "post" seems a redundant step to me...

Also, could you tell me if there's a way to specify to render "null" as empty string in excel? (Null values don't show up in the grid, but when I do export -- cells in excel display "null")

Thanks!

paramvir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »
If it would be feasible, I would merge it into a single request in future versions.

you could replace null with empty string upon post of data $_POST['excel'] using regular expression.

dbadmin

• Pro Economy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 06:26:49 pm »
I understand I can manually replace "null" with empty string :) I'd think it'd be another candidate for the future versions though. thanks for you help!